The WD media player is an excellent player for all kind of movie files – but it lacks one important feature: volume control. I’ve hooked up a pair of Bose speakers directly to the WD and can only change the volume on the Bose device. This is very unpractical e.g. when working out. Therefore I’ve created a device that can control the volume via any IR remote control. I use the WD remote control’s up and down buttons to control the volume via two digital potentiometers. Everything is connected to a PIC micro controller that operates the whole device. Continue reading Universal Volume Control
A while ago, I decided to build my own Geiger-Müller counter to be able to measure radioactivity myself. After Fukushima, all reasonable priced counters were sold out, so I’ve decided to build mine based on a Velleman Kit. (K2645) Continue reading Geiger-Müller Counter Project
The LocalLink controller was my first and only chip design project. It was part of my studies at the ETH Zürich, done in collaboration with my colleague Alex Hueber.
The chip implemented the LocaLink protocol for AppleTalk networks. It was used to connect PC printers to the AppleTalk WAN. A total of 10 chips were fabricated in a CMOS 1.2µm process.
I’ve created a 4x4x4 LED cube from a ELV kit. It’s pretty easy to build, but the software for the animations is quite tedious to use.
I’ve decided to update the theme on the homepage to a more minimalistic design. Also, I wanted a responsive design, so I wouldn’t have to use a separate plugin for mobile devices or tablets. I found all of this in the Yoko design by the nice guys of Elmastudio.
I’ve fixed several memory leak bugs, also I moved to SDK 10.7 so it should work nicely on Lion. And, also for Lion, I’ve created a high-res icon for the application.
The is the first release of the PixCompare engine for command line use. It takes 2 jpeg files and returns a similarity value.
I have several Axis webcams in use, and sometimes their built-in motion recognition just runs amok – it saves a picture every second even though there is no motion at all. Therefore, before copying the pictures away, I use this command to compare the current picture with the last picture taken. If it is different enough, it gets saved.
Usage: % pixo_cmd picture1.jpg picture2.jpg
It returns a float value 0 or higher, where
- 0.00 – 2.00 very similar or identical
- 2.00 – 10.00 pretty similar
- 10.00 – 20.00 somewhat similar, e.g. some colors are the same
- > 20.00 different
I bought a Blue Mikey microphone for iPhone/iPod to do recordings of concerts and other events. To test it out, I went to a local carousel and made a recording of the barrel organ. I used the free Blue Fire software and started recording. I’m pretty impressed by the sound quality. There was quite some wind and a lot of noise from the people around.
I used Audacity the reduce the rumbling noise from the wind – other than that, it’s the original recording. Check it out (mp3)
The next time I’m going to visit the Musikautomaten Museum in Seewen, I’ll also bring this along and do a couple of recordings.
And another new version of PixCompare. Various bug fixes and speed improvements but no major new feature.
I finally had some time to work on PixCompare. Instead of moving the project to Cocoa, I decided to stick with carbon for now. Carbon is still well supported in Leopard and beyond. I updated all deprecated APIs, converted all Quickdraw code to Quartz, and rewrote the whole printing section. I also fixed a few bugs related to scanning.